In order to run a safe commercial kitchen, you must understand the requirements of commercial kitchen hoods.
Neglecting the maintenance of your restaurant’s hoods can result in costly repairs, fees, and unsafe working conditions.
Continue reading for information on commercial restaurant hoods and maintenance. Detroit Hood Cleaning Pros also offers a schedule service that allows you to have our team inspect your restaurant’s hood system.
What is a Restaurant Hood System?
First of all, what exactly is a restaurant hood system?
A restaurant hood system can be used to extract heat from your commercial kitchen. This ventilation system is vital for keeping your kitchen safe and reducing the likelihood of kitchen fires.
It also ensures sufficient airflow in your commercial cooking area, keeping it fresh and healthy.
Parts of a Restaurant Hood System
The following components are common to a restaurant hood systems:
- Exhaust fan
- Exhaust hood
- Control panel: You can customize the ventilation system according to your preferences at any given moment.
- Pollution control unit (made to remove grease and unpleasant smells from the kitchen)
- Rooftop units
- Grease duct
- Grease trap/cup
Types of Kitchen Fan Systems
There are many different types of restaurant hoods you might choose from. These are just a few of the many choices for restaurant hoods systems.
- Ceiling mount hood system
- Underneath cabinet hoods
- Downdraft hood systems
- Wall-mounted range hood systems
- Ducted restaurant hood system
- Recirculating restaurant hood systems
Restaurant Hoods Routine Maintenance
It is vital that your restaurant hoods get regularly inspected. This can help to reduce risk and enhance the work environment of your employees.
You should do the following:
- Regularly change out the hood filters (this should be done every 1 to 3 months depending on how much the kitchen is used).
- Inspection and professional cleaning
- Routine inspections to ensure everything works in your restaurant hood systems
Cleaning the Commercial Kitchen Hood Is Vital
Why is it important to keep your commercial kitchen’s hood system clean and maintained?
Here are some reasons it’s so important to regularly clean your commercial cooking hood:
- This helps to reduce the risk of kitchen fires.
- Clean commercial kitchen hoods make for a cleaner environment.
- When restaurant hoods are maintained and cleaned regularly, slip and fall incidents are greatly reduced.
- Commercial kitchens are required to have their exhaust hoods routinely cleaned by a professional under the NFPA. Restaurant owners who do not follow this guidance risk getting large fines, or even being closed.
- Your commercial kitchen hood system should be cleaned to make your work environment more productive.
Commercial Hood Installation Cost
The type and size of your restaurant hood system will determine the price of range hood installation.
Installing commercial hoods typically costs around $1,000 per square. Installing a 15-foot range hood can cost around $15,000.
Most commercial hood installations services will provide an estimate of how much it will cost to install if you request it.
Best Restaurant Hood Systems
Some of the most highly-rated systems for restaurant management include:
- PLJW 185 – Under-cabinet method
- PLFW 520 Wall-mounted system
- PLJI 103 – The kitchen island system
- PLFI 755.60 (kitchen island system)
- ProSW.60 (wall-mounted system)
There are different sizes of range hoods available, depending on your needs. Range hoods usually come in 30-inch or 60-inch sizes.
How Often should I Have my Restaurant’s Hood System Cleaned?
In general, commercial kitchen hood systems should be cleaned and inspected once every three to six months.
The three-month cleaning limit is not applicable to these exceptions:
- Commercial kitchens that use charcoal or wood stoves will need to be cleaned regularly. In this case, the stoves will need cleaning every month.
- If you manage a fast food restaurant. In such cases, it is important that your restaurant hood system be cleaned on a monthly basis.
There could be exceptions for the three-month rule. You should always consult a professional to discuss your particular commercial kitchen situation.
Be aware that it is always safer to be cautious than run the risk of a kitchen explosion or being fined. Detroit Hood Cleaning Pros is here to help with any questions you may have.
Commercial Kitchen Exhaust Hood Cleaning Service in Detroit, Michigan.
Detroit Hood Cleaning Pros will help you find the most efficient restaurant cleaning service in Washington.
Detroit Hood Cleaning Pros has been making commercial kitchens safer by keeping their restaurant hoods clean for years. We understand the importance and dedication of maintaining a clean and tidy restaurant hood system.
Our restaurant hood cleaning crew is made up of dedicated, motivated, well-trained individuals who would be delighted to help you in your kitchen.
Detroit Hood Cleaning Pros invites you to learn more about our restaurant-hood system cleaners, or to schedule a visit to your commercial kitchen by our team.
Just a call away is a commercial kitchen that’s safer and more efficient. Our number is 313-425-7633.